Sunday, April 28, 2013

Back from Patzcuaro, Michoacan

We arrived back in Mexico City late Friday after spending more than two weeks in Patzcuaro, Michoacan.  We don't have internet in the house there so I haven't posted for awhile.  It's strange but through the years when I knew that someday we would again live in Mexico, I always swore that I would never again live in a large city like Mexico City.  Instead I had this idea in my head that I wanted to reside in a small, colonial town and that's why we bought the house in Patzcuaro and Arturo spent several years fixing it up.  Then I discovered that when we are in Patzcuaro, I enjoy myself but I find that I start to miss Mexico City.  Seems like I can't make up my mind.  However, I think the problem is that I haven't let myself settle down and start a life in Patzcuaro.  Were I to do so, I'm pretty sure that I would be just fine.  And we would add the internet!

We had a great time though and spent several days with some good friends from the U.S. who live in Patzcuaro as well as going places and enjoying the town and surrounding area with friends from Mexico City who now live there.  It's a beautiful colonial town with a large plaza that is one of the largest in all of Mexico.  These pictures are the best I could do.


 
We went to a pyramid site one day last week that dates back to around 900 A.D.  What is left is the town plaza where they conducted business, had their markets, etc.




I took a few pictures of our house - the one that Arturo pretty much rebuilt over a span of about five years.  It is the old colonial style with a patio in the center and the rooms surround that patio.  We haven't filled the patio with plants yet because we don't spend enough time there and they probably wouldn't survive our absences during the dry season.  It's a house that has plenty of room so if you are looking for a vacation spot in a place where you can just relax and enjoy old Mexico let me know!







There are a lot more photos and more rooms but I'm not going to bore you today with all of them.  Instead, I'll leave you with one of the surrounding landscape.  It is dry season there so everything is not as green as it will be in a couple of months but it truly is a beautiful state.




No comments:

Post a Comment