Thursday, May 2, 2013

Projects

I have a long list of projects that I'm working on here in Mexico with the goal of completing some of them by the time we return to Chicago sometime during the fall.  Others I won't finish while we are here in Mexico but I want to get a good start.  For those who are interested, here is a partial list:

I'm working on writing two books:  one is what I hope will be the first in a series for children and the other is hopefully the first in a mystery series.  I have never written a book before and I have no idea if either one will be any good, but it's something I've wanted to do for such a long time and now is the perfect time to work on both.  In between working on the books, I'm studying all kinds of books dealing with the craft of writing.  Next on that writing list is to join an online group of writers and to start participating in critiques, getting tips, etc.

Volunteer work is on my list and there are two organizations that I have started to work with.  The first is a home for girls aged 4 through 18 who either don't have a family or whose family can no longer take care of them.  Providence Home is located in Patzcuaro, Michoacan and it is the home for at present, 47 girls.  Arturo and I visited the home about a week ago and spoke with the director - actually Arturo spoke with her while I played with a group of girls.  We brought the dogs, Citlali and Poukie, with us and the girls were fascinated with them.  Besides volunteering our time there, I want to make quilts or blankets for the girls, and I want to get them a truck load of books.  Part of my time there would involve simply reading to them.  There are such young girls there and they love and need the attention.  If anyone would like to help me with the books or with making blankets, please let me know!

The other volunteer project involves fundraising for an organization in Chicago that helps to rescue pit bulls and place them in foster and permanent homes.  Pittie Rescue has been in the news lately due to the high profile, and sad, case of Petunia.  I wrote a post on her a couple of weeks ago.  Unfortunately, since I wrote that post another two of her puppies have also died.  My daughters and I are planning to use Arturo's art gallery next spring for a fundraiser.  It will be a silent auction and will have some kind of entertainment.

Besides working on a ton of cross stitch, knitting and quilting projects, that I won't bore you with, I'm trying to finish the shawl that I blogged about last year.  In that post I predicted it would take me about a year and that was a pretty close estimate.

I had to rip out the first try that was in a different pattern because I kept messing it up.  So this is a very easy pattern that even I can't screw up too much.

Next, I'm working on planning a trip to Norway for the summer of 2014.  This will be a trip for the whole family so I want it to be really special.  If anyone has suggestions about places that can't be missed, let me know please.

Finally, for today anyway, I'm working on our will.  Yes, that's correct.  I'm an attorney and have been one for the past 23 years and we do not have a will.  Shame on me!  But it's getting there.

And here is my last request for today.  If anyone living in Mexico is reading this post, where can I find Reese's peanut butter cups?  I'm almost finished with the bag I brought with me and life will be hard without them.

Naomi


No comments:

Post a Comment