Thursday, May 23, 2013

Snapshots of daily life in Mexico

I have discovered that where ever you live, you will establish daily routines and life moves forward on a more or less well carved out path.  So it is with our life in Mexico.  Many may think "how boring", but to me it is often a comfort.  That isn't to say that I'm constantly at home doing the same old things though - we do go out all the time.  It's just that there are certain things that I can count on happening everyday and I like that.  Things like walking the dogs at more or less established times, eating our main meal at 3 p.m., watching TV while knitting or sewing at night with the dogs snoozing with us, and then reading until late at night as I don't have to get up at 5:30 a.m. anymore.

And I love the time I spend up in my little hideaway office.  Usually the dogs are with me, each one napping in his or her appointed spot.  Dogs sleep a lot.

Poukie's spot
 I work on my book - or what I hope will one day be a book - and I keep up with emails, news, etc.  I feel connected to my old life but at the same time, I'm very aware that my life today is nothing like it was two years ago.  Last night I dreamt that it was my last week at work and I had so much to pack up and to finish.  I woke up and I've been awake since 4 a.m.
Citlali's perch
One of our jaunts yesterday was to Polanco.  We didn't take the dogs this time because Citlali has an infection on her front paw and she can't walk much.  Poukie had the same thing just a month ago.  Strange.  Then, since Wednesdays are half price movie days, we went to see the Mexican movie "Nostros los Nobles."  It's a comedy about an extremely wealthy widower trying to raise three kids who have turned out to be lazy, spoiled, young adults.  He comes up with a plan to turn them into decent human beings.  I recommend this movie!

To finish up, Arturo has finished burying what was left of the tree trunk, including all the roots, in the back yard.  Now he is going to fill it in with stones I think.
 This final picture is from our upstairs balcony.  There has been a lot of pollution in Mexico City these last few days so it is hazy.  You can barely make out one of the mountains in the background.  We had heavy rains last night but we need a lot more to disperse the pollution.  I'm not sure where it is "dispersed" to but I'm sure it doesn't just disappear.  

No comments:

Post a Comment