Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Plumbing Disaster

Let's talk for a minute about one of the downsides of living abroad.  It's when the freaking plumbing in your house in Chicago decides to have a complete breakdown and you are thousands of miles away in Mexico City.  It started out as a bothersome, but seemingly minor problem, with the kitchen sink.  Then with the shower.  And finally, it all pretty much exploded.   Last night the Roto Rooter guy tried to rod out the main drain but no luck.  Today they are coming out with a camera to see if they can find out what the problem is.  Worst case scenario is that they will have to break up the street in front of the house and do a major repair job.  I don't want to discuss the cost estimate for that kind of work.

So at 3 a.m. I lay awake worrying about all of this - did you know that 3 a.m. is the most dreadful hour of the 24 hour day?  I worried the about the cost, the inconvenience, and finally about my beautiful Crimson King maple trees that we planted 17 years ago and which might have to be sacrificed if they have to tear everything up.  Although the problems remain, I have a somewhat better grip on myself this morning.  After all, it's just plumbing and money mostly.  Everyone is okay and so many people have problems that make this look like child's play.  Still, I wish were there to help out with the mess.  Hmm, maybe not.  Thanks to Laura and Pat for the clean ups and for being there when the plumbers are trying to work!

Fortunately I don't have pictures of the mess in Chicago to show you, but I am in love with this type of window.  I took this on Sunday in the historic center.  I like how they use galvanized tin buckets as planters.


  And finally, for those of you who are following puppy Caine, I'm leaving you with the Facebook page that follows the lives of Caine and his two remaining siblings.  The page is dedicated to Mama Petunia, the pup's mother who died in April.  They post regular updates, photos and fun videos on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment