Monday, June 11, 2012

Acapulco and Back

Sonia, Arturo and I spent four days in Acapulco and arrived back home last night.  We went by bus (probably not my first choice of how to get there but it wasn't too bad) and stayed in the Gran Hotel where we found his uncle staying the first night we were there.  That turned out to be lucky as his uncle and aunt are regulars there so they got us an upgraded room for no extra charge.



The hotel and the beach were beautiful.  I'm not so sure about the outside world though.  We have been taking our girls to Acapulco for many years but it seemed different this time - louder, a tiny bit run down, just not the way I remember it.  That's not saying that I wouldn't go back though!

One night we took a local bus and went to the Quebrada which is the famous cliff from which they dive.  The buses are owned by the drivers and they decorate them, play music as loudly as they can, and have their friends sitting by a window shouting out the bus destinations. They have no schedules and will stop anywhere to pick up people, buy themselves some water, or chat with friends they see on the street. In all, it took us over an hour for what is a 20 minute car ride.  Did I mention these buses do not have air conditioning and are all at least 30 years old.  Acapulco charm.  Anyway, here are some pictures from the Quebrada.




The last diver was totally insane.  He dove from top of the cliff and did a back flip and a couple of somersaults.  I wonder what it is like to have no fear of death?  I tried taking pictures of the dives but my camera wasn't fast enough.  Or I wasn't.

And here are Arturo and Sonia, two of my favorite people on earth - the other two, Diana and Laura, couldn't join us.  Maybe next time because I missed them very much!  The first vacation we ever took as a young family was to Acapulco and I remember it as if it were yesterday.


Right now it's raining and sunny at the same time in Mexico City but I'll leave you with the sunset from Acapulco.



No comments:

Post a Comment