Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Vintage Children's Books

When I was growing up in the 1970's I looked forward each month to my shipment of the next two books in the Happy Hollister's Mystery series.  I loved losing myself in their adventures and their family life involving five siblings - especially since I was an only child.  I've been looking through my mom's things trying to find those books as I had the whole series but so far no luck.  I did find these on etsy.com if any of you are looking:

Happy Hollisters Books - Set of 8
http://www.etsy.com/listing/99803622/happy-hollisters-books-set-of-8.  Magi Gifts and Treasures has many other vintage books to select from, including more children's books.

I started reading to my three girls basically from the time they were born.  We went through hundreds of books from the Little Golden Books to the Berenstein Bears to the American Girls series and many many others in between.  Those are some of my fondest memories of time well spent with my daughters.  We almost never missed a night time reading session.  We would all cuddle up on one of their beds and read for nearly half an hour.  Once in awhile my husband would read to them but his "reading" consisted of reading the first couple of pages and then he would invent the rest of the story off the top of his head.  The girls loved it!

Here are some more of my finds from etsy.com:
A Little Golden Book - Four Puppies - By Anne Heathers - Golden Press

http://www.etsy.com/listing/100158771/a-little-golden-book-four-puppies-by  My girls loved this book and they will always love dogs and animals.  Owl Creations 1 has a nice selection of children's vintage books.

We always enjoyed anything that Richard Scarry wrote including this one from ismoyo:  http://www.etsy.com/listing/98580236/vintage-childrens-book-mr-fixit-an.


Vintage Childrens Book Mr. Fixit and Other Stories Richard Scarry
Which children's books are your favorites?


No comments:

Post a Comment