Friday, June 29, 2012

Shabby Chic Farm Items

My mom grew up on a dairy farm in southwestern Wisconsin near LaCrosse in a beautiful valley.  Even though I was born in a small town in Minnesota and have lived in large cities most of my life, my heart and soul belong to the countryside.  It is there that I feel at peace and can listen to the sounds of nature without the constant background noises of the cities.  Only outside of a city, that is always full of its constant bright lights, can you look up into the sky at night and see the stars and constellations and listen to the insects chirping. And in the mornings, go outside and walk in the grass damp with dew and feel the freshness of a new day.

As dairy farmers, my grandfather's farm had tons of these milk cans.  He would take them to the local creamery where the contents would be turned into delicious butter and the top cream would be skimmed off.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/80938673/old-vintage-creamery-cans-a-fine
-art

My grandmother, and later my mother, spent countless hours every summer raising the vegetables and picking the fruit that they would then can in the mason jars - ensuring that the family had homegrown vegetables and fruit all winter long.  I'm so happy to see a revival in canning!  Here the mason jars are put to another good use.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/95427757/eco-friendly-mason-jar-soap-dispenser

And finally, a barn of their own for all the birds that brighten our days.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/102442272/barn-birdhouse-painted-grey-and-white

Have a happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment